Google provides traffic sources to marketers in two flavors: organic search and paid search.
You acquire traffic from these by Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM).
Here we will describe the organic search terminology.
When you type a word or a phrase into a search engine, whether it is Google, Bing, Yahoo or other, the list of results that it shown below the ads are the organic results. These are based on the quality and the content of the page. When one of the results are clicked it generates organic (search) traffic.
The organic traffic is the most valuable traffic you can for a lot of reasons, including but not limited to:
- Google are the most trusted source for users (potential buyers) researching a purchase
- Google sends the highest amount of traffic
- Google is very stringent about the ranking, especially the top 5 results. Being there for keywords or phrases indicates that the content is high quality
- Moving up is difficult and time consuming and changing/updating content can assist you in getting re-indexed
- Results in the top 10 (first page) of Google receive 92% of all search traffic. By page 2 (top 20) traffic drops 95%
In the “old days” it was not that difficult to rank well on Google. But thing have changed. Google has made strong efforts against methods like “Keyword stuffing” and “Black Hat” SEO.
If you want to increase organic traffic and earn top ranking, it takes time and persistence, but it is well worth it.
Read all SEO news here